It can often be hard to find places ideal for young children to enjoy, so here are 12 kiddie and baby friendly things to do in Cairns that you will enjoy too!
1. Muddy’s Playground – Muddy’s stretches along part of the Esplanade and is perfect for younger children. The playgrounds are made up of both dry and water elements, and you might find it difficult to ignore Muddy’s Cafe while you’re there. Check out Muddy’s Cafe here.
2. Cairns Esplanade Lagoon – The Lagoon is a perfect place to swim without having to worry about stingers or crocodiles. The beautiful pool can be enjoyed at any time of the day and is within walking distance to restaurants and ice-cream shops. Check out Cairns Esplanade Lagoon here.
3. Playgroups – If you’re up for some adult socialisation, why not consider joining a playgroup? There’s plenty located all over the region that meet regularly, allowing you to socialise with other parents and your baby to socialise with other babies. Check out Playgrounds in Cairns here.
4. Cairns Aquarium – The Cairns Aquarium is the perfect for families and young children, with heaps of interactive areas and opportunities to get up close with a variety of different aquatic animals. Check out Cairns Aquariums here.
5. Beaches – The Cairns beaches are also a great place to swim during most parts of the year. Some of the most popular beaches include Four Mile Beach, Trinity Beach, Palm Cove and Ellis Beach. Be sure to read the signs and swim between the flags, being mindful of stingers and crocodiles. Check out the Beaches here.
6. Australian Butterfly Sanctuary – Located in Kuranda, the Australian Butterfly Sanctuary is the best place to experience a variety of butterflies up close and is perfect for people of all ages. Check out Australian Butterfly Sanctuary here.
7. Wildlife Habitat Port Douglas – Home to hundreds of animals as well as the famous Breakfast with the Birds. Enjoy breakfast surrounded by an array of birds or just simply visit for the day. Check out Wildlife Habitat Port Douglas here.
8. Botanic Gardens – The Cairns Botanic Gardens are home to a number of different attractions, almost all of which are suitable for younger children. Entry is free, so enjoy a day surrounded by lush gardens and animals. Check out Cairns Botanic Gardens here.
9. Cairns Libraries – The local libraries offer a variety of activities for little ones including Baby Rhyme Time, Story Time and more. There are a number of library branches around Cairns, so there is bound to be one local to you. Check out Cairns Library here.
10. First 5 Forever Playtime – Playtime sessions run on a monthly basis at Sugarworld Parklands. Join in for fun learning activities, story time and songs perfect for babies, toddlers and children under five. Plus you’ll meet some other parents along the way. Check out SugarWorld Parkland here.
11. Splish Splash Aqua Playgroup – Experience splashing about together with your child at Tobruk Memorial Pool. Sessions are non-structured and ideal for babies six months and under. Check out Tobruk Memorial Pool here.
12. Goomboora Park with plenty of open space, large trees, a children’s playground and waterhole, Goomboora is a great place to spend the day with young children. Check out Goomboora Park here.