The Cairns Show is an iconic event that brings together the community of Cairns and Far North Queensland in a celebration of agriculture, entertainment, and local culture. Behind the scenes of this grand spectacle are dedicated volunteers who contribute their time and energy to ensure the smooth operation and success of the show.
The Cairns Show offers a wide range of volunteer roles to suit various interests, skills, and availability. In addition to the roles mentioned earlier, there are several other exciting opportunities to consider:
1. Competition Assistants: For those with a passion for Horticulture, Photography, or other competitions, you can volunteer as an assistant to ensure the smooth running of these events. This could involve assisting with the setup, coordinating entries, and supporting judges.
2. Pre-Show Ticket Sales: Help sell show tickets at the Earlville Shopping Town Ticket Booth, contributing to the success of the show even before it begins.
3. Gate Guards: As a gate guard, you will play a vital role in ensuring that only authorized people and visitors with appropriate tickets or passes enter the showgrounds.
4. Cleaners: Assist with the cleanup of cages, pens, and other areas, especially where animals are kept. Your efforts will contribute to maintaining a clean and comfortable environment for the exhibitors and animals.
5. Gardening & Maintenance: Join the grounds crew in preparing the showgrounds by weeding, planting flowers, or maintaining the grounds, ensuring a beautiful and welcoming atmosphere for all.
6. Pre-Show Helpers: Contribute to the preparation of rooms, buildings, and displays before the show opens its doors, helping create an enchanting environment for attendees.
7. Ushers: Take on the role of an usher, escorting and directing exhibitors to the correct areas, ensuring a seamless experience for participants and attendees.
8. Timekeepers: Become a timekeeper for races such as Pole Climbing, using stopwatches and accurate data recording to ensure fair and precise results.
9. Office Duties: Assist with various office tasks such as social media content creation, graphic design, printing, laminating, and other administrative duties.
10. Parking Attendants: Ensure that vehicles parked on the showgrounds have the appropriate passes, contributing to the smooth flow of traffic during the event.
Volunteers may apply for multiple positions. Prior experience or skills aren’t required however may aid you in your position. All Volunteers will receive a FREE one-day pass to the Show. If you’re Volunteering over more than one day, you will receive a FREE three-day pass! Apply here
As a volunteer, you’ll have the privilege of witnessing the Cairns Show from a different perspective, gaining exclusive behind-the-scenes access to areas not available to the general public. Whether you’re assisting with competition setups, working closely with judges, or supporting the coordination of various activities, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of the inner workings of the show and the effort that goes into making it a success
Sense of Belonging and Contribution
Volunteering at the Cairns Show allows you to become an integral part of a proud tradition and a thriving community. By contributing your time, skills, and enthusiasm, you’ll experience a sense of belonging and fulfillment that comes from making a meaningful difference. Whether you’re helping to create a visually stunning horticulture display, capturing precious moments through photography, or ensuring the smooth flow of events through various roles, your efforts as a volunteer will be deeply appreciated by the organizers, exhibitors, and visitors alike.
Community Engagement and Networking
Volunteering at the Cairns Show provides a unique opportunity to engage with the vibrant community of Cairns and Far North Queensland. By actively participating in the event and interacting with exhibitors, visitors, and fellow volunteers, you’ll have the chance to build connections and establish relationships that can have a lasting impact on your personal and professional life.
There’s something for everyone at the Cairns Show!
Remember, there’s lots of free things to do once you’re through the gates, so no matter your budget you’ll be able to have a great time.
Buy your tickets early and save until Tuesday the 18th of July here
If you want cheaper rides, buy your Sideshow Alley Bonus Dollars*
Available from the Earlville Shopping Town Ticket Booth Monday 10th – Monday 17th July, 9am – 5pm.
Available at the Cairns Showgrounds (Main Gates) Ticket Booth on Tuesday 18th July, 9am – 5pm.
*Bonus Dollars are not available online. They may only be used for Rides, Games, or Food within the Sideshow Alley area. Bonus Dollars cannot be spent on Showbags. Lost, stolen, damaged or unused Bonus Dollars will not be refunded or replaced.*