It’s never too early to talk, read and share stories with your child.
First 5 Forever is a family literacy program aimed at supporting stronger language and literacy environments for children aged 0–5 years and their families.
Cairns Libraries provide free First 5 Forever activities and resources to help you make the most of your child’s first 5 years.
Here are some activities and resources you can try out:
- Watch all your favourite Baby Play, Story Time, and Rhyme Time sessions online, anywhere, and anytime First 5 Forever Online Storytime & Rhyme Time.
- Subscribe to receive free First 5 Forever Personalised tips weekly with fun ideas to try help with each stage of your child’s development around talking, reading, singing, and playing.
- First 5 Forever talk, read, sing, and play calendar is packed full of fun, easy activities that you can do together at home that will help develop your child’s early literacy skills. Print it out and stick it on your fridge for some daily inspiration!
- Use Amazon Alex or Google Assistance on your phone or speak and ask for ‘First 5 Forever hand’s-free tips and ideas’ designed especially for children aged 0-5. This resource allows you to listen to nursery rhymes sung by our “Errol the frog” character and ask for your child’s favourites over and over (and over!) again. You will also receive book recommendations to discover new stories to share.
- Spark your child’s love of reading with our new series of picture books. Exclusive to First 5 Forever. Stories for Little Queenslanders includes 12 new children’s books designed by Queensland authors and illustrators.
Cairns Libraries delivers a range of FREE First 5 Forever family literacy programs for children and parents/carers across the community with an aim to make talking, reading, singing, and playing part of your daily routine – any time, any place!
First 5 Forever is an initiative of the Queensland Government, coordinated by State Library of Queensland and delivered in partnership with local government.